A high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity, and all students should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science. Through building up a body of key foundational knowledge and concepts, students should be encouraged to recognise the power of rational explanation and develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena. They should be encouraged to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes.
Our science department believes that students should develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the integration of literacy and numeracy skills as well as apply their understanding of spirituality, morality, culture and ethics. students should be able to articulate associated processes and key characteristics using technical terminology accurately and precisely by building up an extended specialist vocabulary. In addition, students should also apply their mathematical knowledge to their understanding of science, including collecting, presenting and analysing data. The social, ethical and economic implications of science maximise students’ engagement with and motivation to study science.
Our core belief is that through studying science at Nunnery Wood high School we develop our students’ understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through scientific enquiry and discovery that enables students to answer scientific questions about the world around them. Students leave here equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
For the students here at Nunnery Wood High School the Science Department aims:
- To create an environment where our students enjoy, and rise to, the challenges of science.
- To offer a variety of approaches to teaching and learning that engage, motivate and demand the active participation of all our students.
- To set and monitor challenging targets with high expectations for all our students.
- To develop our students’ abilities in all aspects of their critical, philosophical and scientific thinking.
- To explore enrichment opportunities outside the curriculum to enhance our students’ enjoyment of science.
- To ensure a smooth progression in teaching and learning throughout our students’ journey at Nunnery Wood High School.
- To endeavor to ensure that all of our students reach their true potential in science.