Mathematics is the means of looking at the patterns that make up our world and the intricate and beautiful ways in which they are constructed and realised. Numeracy is the means of making that knowledge useful.
Mathematics contributes to the school curriculum by developing students’ abilities to calculate; to reason logically, algebraically, and geometrically; to solve problems and to handle data. Mathematics is important for students in many other areas of study, particularly science and technology. It is also important in everyday living, in many forms of employment, and in public decision-making. As a subject in its own right, mathematics presents frequent opportunities for creativity, and can stimulate moments of pleasure and wonder when a problem is solved for the first time, or a more elegant solution to a problem is discovered, or when hidden connections suddenly manifest.
Mathematics enables students to build a secure framework of mathematical reasoning, which they can use and apply with confidence. The power of mathematical reasoning lies in its use of precise and concise forms of language, symbolism and representation to reveal and explore general relationships. These mathematical forms are widely used for modelling situations; a trend accelerated by computational technologies.
The subject transcends cultural boundaries and its importance is universally recognised. Mathematics helps us to understand and change our World.
For the students here at Nunnery Wood High School the Mathematics Department aims:
- To create an environment where our students enjoy, and rise to, the challenges of mathematics.
- To offer a variety of approaches to teaching and learning that engage, motivate and demand the active participation of all our students.
- To set and monitor challenging targets with high expectations for all our students.
- To develop our students’ abilities in all aspects of their mathematical thinking.
- To explore enrichment opportunities outside the curriculum to enhance our students’ enjoyment of mathematics.
- To ensure a smooth progression in teaching and learning throughout our students’ journey at Nunnery Wood High School.
- To endeavor to ensure that all of our students reach their true potential in mathematics.