Students receive one hour of art per week and we teach in mixed ability classes.
Painting and drawing sits at the heart of what we do but our Keystage Three Curriculum also encompasses two and three dimensional work, textiles, fine art, ceramics, sculpture and digital media. This range gives students the chance to experience new skills, techniques and areas of knowledge each year, and to further develop and refine their expertise and understanding of art as they move through the key stage. Provision is therefore made for children to show progress throughout the year and between Years 7, 8 and 9 as their repertoire widens.
Throughout our Art Curriculum, we look at the following key skills:
1. Respond in an original and creative way to ideas.
2. Record from direct observation or personal experience.
3. Develop a piece of art work from first idea to completion.
4. Work independently.
5. Analyse ideas, research and present them.
6. Select and use appropriate materials, techniques and processes to create your ideas.
7. Use and control line, tone, colour, pattern, texture shape, form and space.
8. Form ideas about some historical or critical aspect of art.